A tummy tuck, also known as Abdominoplasty, is a surgical process of removing extra fat from the abdominal area and tightening the muscles to reduce sagginess of the skin caused usually due to pregnancy or major weight loss. A tummy tuck is considered 95% effective post-surgery and can be beneficial for a lifetime if proper care is taken. The extra tissues are removed so that the fat doesn’t increase again.
The surgery is considered major; it usually lasts 3-5 hours depending upon the fat percentage and how much area of fat you wish to be removed and there are various importance of tummy tuck.
Benefits and Importance of Tummy Tuck:
- It helps in getting a smooth, toned, flat, firm belly and boosts one’s self-confidence. People are conscious about their bodies and everyone wishes to be fit. The improved appearance helps in socializing more, this increased confidence also makes exercise and other physical activities more enjoyable. Tummy tuck completely transforms the abdominal area and makes it leaner and in shape. It helps in easier weight loss and management.
- A tummy tuck is not considered a standard method but it does help in improving bad posture caused due to pregnancy or excess body weight. It also helps in curing lordosis or swayback posture and other such related issues. The tight and toned muscles provide support to the spine which also reduces certain types of chronic back pain.
- It is also considered successful in removing hernia which occurs while the intestines try to push abdominal walls through weak tissue and muscles and form a sack or packet. Surgery helps in making the walls stronger and tighter. It also prevents any future re-occurrences.
- Beneficial in curing Stress Urinary Incontinence (SUI), a bladder control problem associated with uncontrollable leakage while doing forceful or sudden actions like sneezing, laughing, coughing, and exercising. Tummy tuck creates an obstruction using soft tissues near the pelvic area which brings significant relief and control.
- Helps in reducing or completely removing stretch marks caused due to fluctuations in one’s weight. As the skin is totally cut off from the body, it helps in removing tattoos and scars as well. Incision marks that occur during a C-section can be either removed with the fat or it can be incorporated with the surgery’s marks. When the old scars are integrated with the new scars, it increases the chances that they will heal properly and the scars will disappear.
- Tummy tuck reduces health risks like cholesterol, stroke, and other health-related problems caused by excessive weight. It also provides flexibility to do more exercise and other activities which in turn benefits the whole body to stay fit and in shape.
Is Tummy Tuck safe??
Yes, it’s a completely safe procedure performed by professional surgeons. It includes general anesthesia which wears off post-surgery. All the advice and suggestions regarding before and after surgery are given to avoid any complications.
The results are generally permanent, but it is important to take care of your weight and eat a healthy balanced diet as negligence may lead to abnormalities.
It requires at least 2 months of proper care during the recovery period. Doctors suggest at least 15 days of bed rest as one can’t stand upright immediately after the surgery, heavy lifting and exercise are not advised at any cost until full recovery.
The pain usually starts to wear off in 20-25 days, excessive bleeding and Seroma cleaning should be done regularly along with the consumption of prescribed painkillers and antibiotics.
Dr. Peter Kay has been practicing cosmetic surgery in Tucson, AZ for more than 25 years. He is a Board-Certified plastic surgeon as well as a member of the American College of Surgeons. Along with the team at Perfection Plastic Surgery, Dr. Peter Kay provides an individualized approach to patient care.